So, I am in public speaking and I honestly love the class! It is fun and I do fairly well speaking in public because I had to do it so often in high school with the many leadership roles I had played there. We started the class with lecture and then had to sing 1 minute of a song; more so to ease nerves and get us more comfortable being in front of people in slightly embarrassing times. Over the next few classes we had lecture as well as a tell a 20-30 second story joke, tell a fable...both good for one thing or another to help us for our first "real speech."
Our first was a, "Tell A Story" speech. We were given the assignment to tell a story from our lives; it could have been anything from the worst trouble you got in to the first time you went to a party. The main thing we had to remember was that the story had to have a moral, something I learned from the experience and that others could learn from as well. The first thing that came to mind was to share a short version of my testimony. I missed the sign-up sheet going around that day in class, so I had to take a spot on the last day of speeches. So, I had roughly two weeks to prepare. In the first week I fought myself hardcore to NOT go through with sharing my testimony. But, I felt like I should follow the 'urge' I felt inside to do it. So, I began to prepare and wrote out my speech.
While I was in the writing process we still had to attend classes and got to listen to other speeches given. I was somewhat surprised and very encouraged to hear two other women in my class share the name of Jesus for their speeches. I got more excited for my speech and to connect with these other two women who were so bold in their faith.
As my speech day drew closer, I was faced with two problems: my speech/testimony was too long and I had a lot of trouble telling it without getting choked up or even crying. So, I had some work to do. The timing part was fairly easy; I just had to cut out some of the wordiness and time my pauses better. Crying was a bit more difficult. It seemed like I would guard myself on not crying at a certain point I knew I cried at, then I would cry at another point in my speech.
So, speech day came; I was ready! I did well. One girl in the front almost cried and the feedback I received was great. I also was approached by the other two women and we talked and it is great to know and be in a class with two bold women.
SOOO, this all really just helped me in my faith in so many ways. First, it got me to think about why I first came to REALLY believe in Jesus as my Savior; what was needed and what brought me to my breaking point, when I finally realized that there was something missing, and that was Jesus. I had started to remember certain things about my "child like faith" as a new believer and I really just broke again before the Lord. It was awesome!!! And even more so than my growth and whatnot; I was thrilled to see the name of Jesus Christ shared THREE times to the same group of 25 people in less than two weeks!!!!!
PRAISE GOD!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment